Whether you are a beginner or an advanced practitioner, there may be some calisthenics and fitness related apps out there that you will find very useful.
You can use them to create your own routines, log your workouts, find information about how to perform a given movement, track your daily macro-nutrient intake, or even find a nearby calisthenics bar setup.
They don’t require much equipment to get you working out; usually a doorway pull up bar is more than enough. If you want more versatility however, a pull up station will allow you to do considerably more. Or just grab a pair of gymnastic rings — work out anywhere, at any time.
Some of these apps have been created by calisthenics athletes you may already be following on social media and others by fantastic communities like the bodyweight fitness community on Reddit.
What’s more, you simply have nothing to lose by checking them out; you might just really like them, and maybe, find a use for them in your daily life.
Most of the following apps I will be presenting are free, and a few feature some in app purchases.
With Madbarz you will get daily workout routines highly adjustable to your needs. Choose workout duration and the targeted muscles (abs, legs, back,…), adapt it to your fitness level and goals, and create your own workouts. The provided video guidance will help you execute the exercises perfectly.
Work out at home or at the gym, with your fitness program always in your pocket. Stick with our workouts and notice a change in just a few weeks.
Analyze your progress
- Bodyweight workouts – Daily workouts: train anywhere, anytime
- Pick your fitness level – Beginner, Intermediate or Advanced
- Choose workouts by duration or targeted muscle groups
- Create and save custom workouts
- High- quality video tutorials for each exercise
- Weekly challenges – Get stronger every week
Madbarz is ideal for beginners – it has detailed descriptions of each exercise, followed by a high-quality video, so that performing the exercise correctly no longer poses a problem.
If you are at an intermediate level, Madbarz will help you take your skills to a higher level.
Advanced level athletes will be challenged to become better and stronger, with exercises developed by professionals.
The app has a premium version that you can try out for a 7 day free trial if you wish to. Although you do not need the premium version to really enjoy the app, having allows you to obtain access to detailed nutrition guides on weight loss or muscle gain, loads of recipes and more.
2. Calisthenics Mastery
This app is the perfect Calisthenics Companion for Tracking, Motivation and Education from Beginner
to Advanced levels.
Download and set up a plan with a few taps, or set up your personal plan with routines that you can
easily and effectively add to workouts that you schedule.
The Free Version contains 50 exercises in 5 categories, with full functionality. You can explore and use the full potential of Calisthenics Mastery through the free content, and unlock Advanced Exercises, Easy-to- use Workout Plans and Motivating Workout Modes as you progress in Calisthenics.
App’s best free features
- Routines, to group your reps the way You want.
- Schedule, for creating flexible and powerful Workout Plans
- Workout Player, to count time, tick your reps and show what’s next
- Log, to see your past activity
- Progress Percentage, to follow your progress
- Animating workout icons to help you executing the exercises
- Rest Timer
- Workout Notifications
- Exercise descriptions and progression levels
- Muscles Worked by Exercises are listed with Work Intensity
- Exercise Videos from YouTube
- Workout Days Streak Counter
FREE version includes all the Basic Moves to start Bodyweight Workout:
- Push ups – 10 Exercises
- Squats – 10 Exercises
- Pull ups – 10 Exercises
- Leg Raises – 10 Exercises
- Bridges – 10 Exercises
- More exercises can be purchased as extra content:
- Handstand Push-ups
- Forearm Exercises
- Human Flags
- Neck Training
- Lower Leg Training
- Front Lever
- Active Stretching
Purchase Pro upgrade to access the following features:
- Auto Progress, to increase reps automatically after workout
- Adjustable Progression Standards
- Fun, Challenging and Motivating Workout Modes to keep you on track:
- Tabata; An essential tool to create high intensity interval trainings with a few taps.
- Bring Sally Up; This workout challenge is so fun and challenging at the same time it will make you want to do it everyday
Try how easy it is to apply a new workout plan with the 2 plans included for free.
The routines and your scheduled is created for you automatically, you just set the difficulty, and start working out.
You never get bored of working out if you switch between plans every now and then. Save your data to iCloud, or to get it as a file and restore it later through iTunes.
3. Calisthenics Workout Routines
Another bodyweight workout app that will allow you to find the right exercises and create your own workout routine, whilst tracking your progress and statistics.
Whether you’re a beginner or seasoned veteran, this app will serve you right.
Choose from a wide range of pre-made workouts or create your own workout. Know which muscles will be activated and the intensity level of cardio and strength in each workout.
FREE version includes all the Basic Moves to start Bodyweight Workout:
- Free workouts that you can personalize for yourself
- 75+ predefined workout routines
- 150+ different exercises
- Create your own unlimited custom workouts
- 1000+ custom routines
- Know which muscles you are working on with each workout
- Save your workouts and use them offline
- You tube Links and Descriptions for every exercise
- Listen to your favorite music during workout
Analyze your progress
- Detail workout progress through various comparisons, graphs and charts
- New timer during exercises – you can track everything: total time of workout, performing time etc…
- Track the exact number of repetitions or time you made for each exercise
- All the data from workouts and exercises are saved.
- New calendar: access the saved data through a calendar; navigate through days of the calendar and see when you worked out and what routines you did and how many exercises you did.
- Workout progress – see the routines you did and the progress you made on each routines.
- Beautiful graphics so you can see how you progress on each exercise
- Exercise progress – see the exercises you did and how many repetitions or time.
- Access to a lot of general data: how many calories you burned since your first workout, how many calories per workout, how much time you worked out, average time of workout, how many cycles you worked out in total etc…
- Instructions for hundreds of exercises, sorted by body region, muscle of target, and the equipment needed.
- Track your weight
- Body Tracker : you can add your the measurements of your body: Shoulder, Upper Arm, Lower Arm, Calf, Ankle, Neck, Chest, Waist, Hip, Thigh and see the chart of all of them
- calculate BMI
4. We’re Workout Out – Al Kavadlo
Work out alongside an animated Al as he takes you through more than 40+ unique workouts and over 90 different progressive bodyweight exercises.
Al Kavadlo is one of the world’s leading experts in bodyweight strength training and calisthenics.
The author of several books, including Get Strong, Street Workout, Zen Mind, Strong Body and Pushing The Limits!, Kavadlo is also known for his appearance in the popular Convict Conditioning book series. You can choose between a monthly subscription or a single one-time purchase.
Level up your fitness and strength, gain flexibility and learn more about calisthenics.
Make a healthy change in your life by becoming more active, aware and motivated. Exercises are presented in an easy and simple way to understand.
Choose exercises relevant to your fitness level in the given sections. You can choose progression
difficulty for some exercises.
- Log your workouts – save number of sets, weight and time for each exercise (you choose what to
- Beautiful Graphs to visualize logged workouts.
- Timer – automatically saves your progress to the workout log.
- Watch full videos for each exercise.
- Switch routines – choose between Bodyweight Fitness (Recommended Routine), Starting Stretching
(Flexibility Routine) and Molding Mobility (Flexibility Routine).
- Workout Log – track your progress with beautiful statistics.
- Use dashboard to explore the whole routine tree.
- Export your workout log as a CSV file.
- Rest Timer after each set – customizable in settings.
No extra permissions or network connection required, all videos are available offline as high quality MP4 videos.
Thenx is designed to teach anyone the secret techniques and knowledge of bodyweight training.
These programs have been tested and developed over many years by professional instructors and athletes to provide the most direct and simplistic format to excel in calisthenics fitness and ability.
In these programs you will face challenges, but the skills and abilities that you will develop through proper guided progression is obtainable by anyone from any age or any fitness level.
The content provided is designed in short video format with the purpose to convey the techniques and exercises at your own pace, ensuring proper form to be easily repeated, personalizing your workout experience.
- Choose your difficulty level
- Exercises and workouts have easy to understand videos to break down form and do the exercises the right way
- Includes a timer
- Helps you choose the right workouts for you
6. Calisthenics Parks
To train effectively, you need to have a good workout spot and you need
to know where to find it.
With Calisthenics Parks you will find the perfect workout park near you.
- Find outdoor gyms near you
- Find workout spots while you travelling
- Use the map to explore outdoor gyms and workout places all over the world
- Receive details for each spot (pictures, detailed description, rating and location)
- Become visible in your city or region by activating your home location
You can become a part of their worldwide spot network and add your spot or spots you find to the map. Wherever you go with their map you have all the information you need with you. Explore 2,900+ spots in 93 countries worldwide (January 2017) and fill your user profile with activities, training programs, nutrition and skills.
7. Bonus App: MyFitnessPal
Whether you want to lose weight, tone up, get healthy, change your habits, or start a new diet, you’ll
This app lets you track your food with the help of it’s colossal database. It will tell you how much you need to consume everyday, specifically tailored to your needs and goals.
- Biggest Food Database — 6+ million foods in our database including global items and cuisines.
- Barcode Scanner — Simply scan barcodes to log foods. 4+ million barcodes recognized.
- Recipe Importer — Easily import the nutrition information for the recipes you cook.
- Restaurant Logging — Quickly log menu items from your favorite restaurants.
- Food Insights — Learn how to make healthier choices about the foods you eat.
- Personalized Experience — Create your own foods, recipes, and meals and save favorites.
- Calorie Counter — The app will automatically calculate the calories in your foods, meals and recipes.
- Track All Nutrients — Calories, fat, protein, carbs, sugar, fiber, cholesterol, vitamins, and more.
- Customize Your Diary — Log breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks or create your own meals.
- Water Tracking — Log water in cups, ounces or ml. We save your recently logged amounts.
Reach your goals
- Choose A Goal — Weight loss, weight gain, and weight maintenance goals.
- Goal Setting — Create your own goals or let the app create personalized goals for you.
Log your workouts and calculate how many calories you burned
- Connect 50+ Apps — Syncing your workouts is easy and automatic.
- Choose From 350+ Exercises — Or create your own exercises and workouts.
- Log Cardio Exercises — Including running, walking, biking, swimming, yoga, pilates and more.
- Log Strength Exercises — Including sets, reps, and weight per set.
- Track Steps — Set a daily step goal and see a graph of your step history. Connect with all your favorite apps and devices — Including Fitbit, Jawbone UP, Garmin, MapMyFitness, Runkeeper, Strava, Runtastic, Misfit, Withings, HealthKit, UA Record and many more.
Track your progress
- Chart Your Progress — Stay motivated with a graph of how you’re improving over time.
- Progress Photos — Add photos to your weight entries to see and celebrate your progress.
- Nutrition Reports — View a history of your calories, macros, and nutrient intake.
- Share Your Progress — Help inspire friends and family members on their own health journey. MyFitnessPal is free to download and use and in my opinion, one of the best apps to have on your phone if you are serious about training and nutrition and want an easy and effective way of tracking your efforts.